[Zope] Connecting to Zope with a Thick Client

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Oct 14 13:52:54 EDT 2003

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 06:38:07PM +0100, Toby Dickenson wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 October 2003 16:47, Roch? Compaan wrote:
>
> > You can also look at ZEO, specifically the zrpc package which uses
> > Python's asyncore and socket modules.
>
> Note that the ZEO protocol currently needs for all clients and the server to
> trust each other; there is no security across the zeo link.

True. I wouldn't use ZEO directly for the original poster's "fat clients".
Instead, I would consider building a server, maybe in Twisted, that
implements the necessary protocol and uses zope's nice features
like security, acquisition, etc. It would be some work but I suspect this
approach could be very powerful and pretty clean.
Alternatively, you could extend ZServer / Medusa to provide your
protocol of choice, but that doesn't sound like as much fun :-)

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com