[Zope] WTF is a monkeypatch?

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sun Oct 19 12:23:53 EDT 2003

John Coleman wrote at 2003-10-14 13:36 -0400:
 > I am trying to resolve some Oracle issues with ZopeProfiler,
 > but it's a
 > "monkey patch" with no instructions on installing it.

"ZopeProfiler" is a Zope product and is installed in the usual way:
you unpack the "tar" archive in Zope's "Products" folder.

Depending on your setup, there may be different "Products" folders.
One is in the so called "SOFTWARE_HOME" (usually "<zopedir>/lib/python").
There may be one in "INSTANCE_HOME" (when you defined this environment
variable).

"ZopeProfiler" uses "Monkey patching" to hook the profiler in the
ZPublisher code. This can interfere with other products that use
a similar monkey patch. That's the only reason why it is mentioned.
You need not to worry about this when installing "ZopeProfiler".

Dieter