[Zope] Running ZEO on a single server -- advisable? Why?

Jamie Heilman jamie at audible.transient.net
Sun Oct 19 16:54:03 EDT 2003

On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 08:51:36AM -0400, Paul Howell wrote:
> Do you run ZEO on standalone boxes? What are the advantages?

Yes, infact I think running Zope & the storage server together in the
same process should be deprecated, then done-away with.  One big
advantage is you can run the processes under different users to
provide additional security partitioning.  Then there's all the other
benefits other folks have mentioned about it being faster to restart,
etc.

Paul Winkler wrote:
> - you must take care to protect the zeo port. A sufficiently
> knowledgeable person with access to the zeo port can get
> access to anything in zope regardless of security settings.

ClientStorage and the storage server support communication over UNIX
domain sockets.  When the zope client & storage server processes are
running on the same host it makes a lot of sense to take advantage of
that, its faster, and it safer.

--
Jamie Heilman                     http://audible.transient.net/~jamie/
"Most people wouldn't know music if it came up and bit them on the ass."