[Zope] Running ZEO on a single server -- advisable? Why?

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Mon Oct 20 01:29:19 EDT 2003

>>> Dieter Maurer wrote
> Paul Howell wrote at 2003-10-19 08:51 -0400:
>  > Back in August, runyaga wrote:
>  >  >you should never go into production without ZEO.
>  >  >you should never add live components / migrate a plone server / pack
>  >  >ZODB on a server that serves requests.
>
> I do not follow most of these advices.
>
> We used Zope without ZEO for several years.

Well, I know I wouldn't recommend serving any live site with real users
without ZEO. Our primary site has something like 7 or 8 ZEO clients on a
bunch of various sized Sun boxes, sitting behind Pythondirector. Before
ZEO, we'd constantly get thwacked with strange errors and glitches - now
if a machine glitches, the auto-checker (which has a very very itchy
trigger finger) restarts it immediately. The director stops the downed
server getting any requests til it comes back up.

It now takes a pretty serious visit from Mr. Cockup to actually make the
website unavailable at all.

Anthony