[Zope] Re: APE and version control?

Shane Hathaway shane at zope.com
Mon Oct 20 12:13:04 EDT 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Johan Carlsson wrote:

> I'm a bit interested in what you meen by "apply version control to your
> objects". How would this work?
>
> Ape/doc/outline.txt :
> """
>    Finally, the framework is useful for many purposes outside ZODB.
>    Once you have built a system of mappers, you can use those mappers
>    to import and export objects, synchronize with a data store, and
>    apply version control to your objects.  The concepts behind ApeLib
>    open exciting possibilities.
> """

Well, there is a strong distinction between the ZODB parts of Ape and the
actual serialization layer.  You can use the serialization layer for
purposes other than storing in a database.  You could write some code that
listens to events notifying that objects have changed.  The event handler
could serialize the objects to a version control system.

Shane