[Zope] Controlling caching of objects

Jamie Heilman jamie at audible.transient.net
Wed Oct 22 04:21:50 EDT 2003

Bjorn Stabell wrote:
> Most people, I think, would prefer to put an upper limit on the
> total MB of memory Zope uses instead.  Are, what are the cons/pros?

The #1 con is that knowing the memory usage of an object on the host
system is, afaik, nigh unto impossible in Python.  The technique used
by some of Zope's content cache systems is to pickle the object to be
cached and use the size of the pickle as an indication of the relative
amount of memory used.  That technique is far from perfect though, and
probably not suitable for the object cache of a zodb connection.

--
Jamie Heilman                     http://audible.transient.net/~jamie/
"You came all this way, without saying squat, and now you're trying