[Zope] ZSyncer error: "illegal data at start of file"

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Thu Oct 30 01:17:57 EST 2003

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 03:27:52PM -0800, Kamal Gill wrote:
> Any ideas what might be causing the following error in ZSyncer?  We're
> running Zope 2.5.1 with ZSyncer 0.5.0-pre10 on Win2K.
>
>     * Error
>     * Syntax error at line 1: illegal data at start of file
>     * Traceback (most recent call last):
(snip)
> "D:
> \PROGRA~1\MEDZOP~1\lib\python\Products\ZSyncer\xmlrpclibBasicAuth.py",
> line 65, in request
>       return self.parse_response(file)
>       File "D:\PROGRA~1\MEDZOP~1\lib\python\xmlrpclib.py", line 596, in
> parse_response
>       p.feed(response)
>       File "d:\Program Files\MedZopeDev/bin/lib\xmllib.py", line 168,
> in feed
>       self.goahead(0)
>       File "d:\Program Files\MedZopeDev/bin/lib\xmllib.py", line 259,
> in goahead
>       self.syntax_error('illegal data at start of file')
>       File "d:\Program Files\MedZopeDev/bin/lib\xmllib.py", line 794,
> in syntax_error
>       raise Error('Syntax error at line %d: %s' % (self.lineno,
> message))
> Error: Syntax error at line 1: illegal data at start of file

I haven't seen this before on linux. I wonder if the platform is relevant.
hmm... ok, I see that I used os.path.normpath on URLs which is
really a bad idea. I don't know if that's the cause of your problem but
it's definitely bletcherous, so I've just fixed it and checked in to CVS.
I'll mail you a patch privately so you don't have to wait forever for
sourceforge anonymous CVS to catch up with my checkin...

You can try anonymous cvs access at sourceforge, but be
sure that ZSyncer/version.txt is at least 0.5.0-pre11.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com