[Zope] ZSyncer error: "illegal data at start of file"

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Fri Oct 31 15:50:14 EST 2003

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 11:45:21AM -0800, Kamal Gill wrote:

> >That's possible. But can you do me a favor and try it
> >with an older version of ZSyncer, e.g. 0.4.6 or even older?
> >If that works then I know it's a problem in zsyncer.
> >I believe Andy ran zsyncer on windows, so it used to work.
>
> The same error is returned with ZSyncer 0.4.6.

good to know.

> >Also, please let me know a bit more about the objects you are
> >trying to compare. What exactly were you doing? Does this error
> >happen on all comparisons?
>
> The error appears after clicking the sync tab in a given folder.
> The objects we're comparing are DTML Methods, DTML Documents, Images,
> Folders, Page Templates, and Scripts.
> In ZSyncer 0.4.6, the error is returned only when a folder on the
> source is not present on the destination.

Hold on - that doesn't *ever* work.
I've never seen the xml error you get, but if you're in a folder
that doesn't exist on the destination, you'll always get *some*
kind of error. I don't know why you get a different one.

> The comparison and sync
> operations work fine when the folder's id and tree location is
> identical on the source and destination.  With ZSyncer 0.5.0-pre10, the
> "illegal data at start of file" error is returned if a folder on the
> source is not present on the destination.  If a folder's id and tree
> location is identical between the source and destination, the following
> error is returned (using ZSyncer 0.5.0-pre10)..
>
>     * Oh fooey. NameError
>     * name 'mode' is not defined

Hmm. Do you have the same version of ZSyncer installed on
both the source and destination?

If so, I'll see if I can reproduce this.

> >Are both Zopes running on windows?
>
> Yes.  Both are running Win2K Server.  I would love to switch to Linux
> or Mac OS X, but our sysadmins won't have it.

ok, i can get at a w2k box for testing. i'll see if I can reproduce.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com