[Zope] Zope slowdown publishing big tables

Chris McDonough chrism at zope.com
Tue Sep 2 16:13:53 EDT 2003

Note that nested tables are notorious for appearing to be "slow" on most
browsers because the browser needs to render each table before showing
anything else on the page.  I'd suggest benchmarking the page generation
time with something other than a browser (e.g. Apache's "ab") to ensure
that it's Zope's fault and not the browser's if you haven't already.

On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 10:53, Luton, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently written a few pages which either generate or contain
> large html tables. I started to notice some fairly substantial slowdown
> with tables over 100 or so rows. At a guess, I assume this is zope
> rendering all the <tr> and <td> tags looking for dtml, but it seems a
> bit slow even for that. We're running pretty substantial servers with
> plenty of memory, etc.
>
> I'd be interested in any good ways to improve the speed of these pages.
> The obvious answer would be caching, but I'd rather avoid the
> complications that entails if possible. I'm more interested in what
> Zope's really doing to slow itself down here. TIA
>
> --
> Alex
>

> This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and are intended
> solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are
> addressed.
>
> This communication represents the originators personal views and
> opinions, which do not necessarily reflect those of The Royal College of
> Surgeons of England.
>
> If you are not the intended recipient, or the person responsible for
> delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you
> have received this e-mail in error, and that any use, dissemination,
> forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.
>
> http://www.rcseng.ac.uk
>
> Registered Charity Number: 212808

Chris McDonough <chrism at zope.com>
Zope Corporation