[Zope] Aquisition and the Search Engine : A Tragic Tale of Romance Part II (was Inheritance and the Search Engine, due to rampant user ignorance about that which he spake)

Edward Pollard pollej at uleth.ca
Tue Sep 2 17:10:54 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 12:06 PM, Paul Winkler wrote:

>> We are running Zope 2.6 as part of our website. Our central search
>> engine that spans all our websites is running on ht-dig. Inheritance
>> on
>> zope
>
> what you're talking about is actually called Acquisition.

I knew that. No really....;-)

> On the off chance that you have some kind of workflow system for
> your templates, you could probably cook up a way to run all edits
> through a URL-checking script and at least warn the user if they've
> done something problematic, or maybe even attempt to automagically fix
> it.

We're using Dreamweaver integration at the client to make a
non-workflow workflow. We're very happy with it. Dreamweaver writes
fairly clean code. However, its the "porting" of the old pages -
involving copying and pasting - that has caused this problem for us on
the two occasions it's occurred. Considering how castrated it makes the
search engine, two times is more than enough.

I've got some really silly ideas about incorporating some sort of
script into the templates used at the document level to do some sort of
checking against REQUEST.URL and here.absolute_url, but that looks like
it would fark up the places where we *are* using acquisition
intentionally. (eg. we only have one index_html in the department tree.
Each directory has a property of the department code and acquires the
index from the root).

Thoughts on such a radical idea?