[Zope] User groups

J Cameron Cooper jccooper at jcameroncooper.com
Thu Sep 4 20:42:34 EDT 2003

> Is there a product available that would enable me to make user groups
> in Zope and assign local roles to the group, rather than the
> individual users.
>
> I want to use this in a multi-party CMF portal.  I want to create a
> group for each party (be that a company, organisation, whatever) and
> then assign user, reviewer, etc. local roles to the group instead of
> each user.
>
> I would be easy enough to write this so that the group object handles
> the individual user local role assignment and removal, but something a
> bit closer to the Zope security system would be preferable.

Take a look at GRUF (GroupUserFolder) at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/collective

It makes groups just a special type of user, and allows use of any user
source, so you can use *exactly* the Zope security machinery without
change. There are (in CVS, at least) even CMF tools for manipulation of
groups, and Plone 1.1 will come with a web-interface for managing them.
But even without all that, you can still use it to do what you describe.

          --jcc

--
"Code generators follow the 80/20 rule. They solve most of the problems, but not all of the problems. There are always features and edge cases that will need hand-coding. Even if code generation could build 100 percent of the application, there will still be an endless supply of boring meetings about feature design."
(http://www.devx.com/java/editorial/15511)