[Zope] installing and using Zope at an ISP

Dylan Reinhardt zope at dylanreinhardt.com
Fri Sep 5 17:18:17 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 03:44, Johan wrote:
> Just subscribed to my list and shooting my first question!

Welcome.

> Since i have a new project comming up, involving a huge pan-european
> site, i'm thinking about starting with zope

Excellent choice.  :-)

> , however, my site is hosted
> with a ISP (hostrocket.com). An inhouse dedicated server could be
> possible within the next 2 years.
> Can i install and use zope without having root access to the server?

Yes and no.  The only reason you need root access is to start Zope on
port 80.  However, you may not *want* your web site hosted on a port
like 8080 and furthermore that port may be blocked by the ISP's
firewall.

Assuming you already have Apache and are able to configure it, you can
get Apache to function as a reverse proxy for the Zope instance running
on a non-privileged port.  This is an excellent solution that requires
no greater privileges than you probably already have.

HTH,

Dylan