[Zope] Product initilization, acquisition and instance references

Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Wed Sep 10 16:49:48 EDT 2003

Hello,

I'm making 2 products that relate to each other much like a Database Adapter
and a Z SQL Method ... One provides services to the other.

The classes themslves already exist for pure python, and I'm trying to wrap
them into a Zope product.

The first one works fine.

The problem is the second one, which uses the first one.  First of all, it
looks like while the class is being instanciated, there isn't any
acquisition yet ? getattr(self, <id of instance of first type of object> )
does not work as expected ... I need object 2 to get the instance of object
1 in order to instanciate it properly. Under normal python, one would create
an instance of object 1, and pass it as a parameter when instanciating
object 2.

Is this making any sense ? :)

Also, if acquisition did work and I did something like self.serviceprovider
= getattr( self, <id of instance of other object> ) would I be storing a
copy of the instance, or a reference to it ? Anyway I can persistently store
a reference to it ?

The detailed situation is this: I have a Connection object, and a Query
object (They talk to a web service). The Connection object instanciates
fine.  The problem is that the Query object when being instanciated (And
edited for that matter), wants to check that some of it's parameters are
valid against the server information known and cached in the Connection
object. But I can't seem to get to that object at instanciation !!

Any help or insights would be much appreciated !!

Thanks,

Jean-François Doyon
Internet Service Development and Systems Support
GeoAccess Division
Canadian Center for Remote Sensing
Natural Resources Canada
http://atlas.gc.ca