[Zope] Indexing and Searching through XML files

Chris Withers chrisw at nipltd.com
Mon Sep 15 09:00:25 EDT 2003

Dieter Maurer wrote:

> You use an external search engine and interface it with Zope.
> Chris Withers used JPE (Java Python Environment) and a standard
> Open Source Java search engine (from the Apache project) to do something
> like this.

Indeed, Lucene was the engine in question and is apparently very scalable.
I think Stephan Richter has implemented a better interface to Lucene for a Zope
3 project, might be good to ask him...

> You search Zope.org for a HowTo about ZCatalog indexing of
> objects not inside Zope, something like "ZCatalog Everything".

...or do this.

ZCTextIndex isn't at all bad nowadays...

> I would go for the "external search engine" approach, especially
> when your files were large.

Yes, and remember, you need to understand what bits of the file you want
indexed. If the files contain a mixture of metadata and content, you'll have fun ;-)

Chris