[Zope] ZMySQLDA

Joseph F. Dries III jdries at advancedlogicsys.com
Mon Sep 15 19:27:23 EDT 2003

> [Joseph F. Dries III]
>
> > No, it is not. I have the mysql-python 0.9.2 binary for
> > Python 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3.
>
> Too bad, that would have been an easy solution!

All too true. ;)

I certainly don't know why I was able to do an "import _mysql.pyd" and
have it work w/o issues in the interpreter. I'm still so new to python and
zope that I just don't have the experience to know where to look for
explanations yet.

> > > Which interpreter?  Zope's Py2.2 or your Py2.3?
> >
> > Zope's Py2.2. I obviously wouldn't test my Py2.3 interpreter
> > for a working
> > mysql-python (it is installed, and is working there also)...
>
> Sorry, but quite a few people mix the two interpreters up when they test
> something from the command line.

I know. You have to take these things on a gradient. Sometimes checking to
make sure the power is actually on is a good first step. ;) So no offense
taken.

> I would try connecting using odbc.  You should be able to get an odbc
> connector for MySQL.  I tried it with MySQL several years ago and it
> worked fine, as I recall.  Once things are working, you can follow up
> trying to get the ZMySQLDA working as well, if you even feel that you
> need to at that point.

I can look around. When I first looked at ODBC DA's for Zope, there were
some links but they all linked to commercial packages I thought. And while
I certainly don't have any aversion to paying for what I get, right now
I'm developing on a strict budget and an ODBC connector wasn't allocated
for. It would just be a hassle at this point to PO for one, since that
basically stops the development process right now.

I'd also certainly like to stay with native DAs where applicable.

For the time being, I'm inclined to comment out the original line in
ZMySQLDA that is causing the problems (calling the attribute of
server_capabilities) and setting it to zero. It's for testing for
transactions, which I'm not really doing at the moment, so perhaps I can
survive.

If anyone has a real solution, however, please speak up!

I'm curious, do most people install the python.org python 2.3, and then
install/compile Zope from source on Windows platforms? I'd certainly like
to go with the most tested means.

I use source on FreeBSD and OpenBSD. I use precompiled for Debian and
MacOS X, as well as Windows. What is the norm here?

Thanks,
-j

--
Joseph F. Dries III