[Zope] Newbie config problem: server only responds to localhost requests

J. Cameron Cooper jccooper at jcameroncooper.com
Fri Sep 26 19:49:28 EDT 2003

>I've configured 2.6.2 on an in house server behind a shorewall
>firewall.
>
>Shorewall is forwarding port 8080 using a rule entry that differs
>only in port number from the NAT entry for traditional, port 80,
>requests; port 80 is being served correctly. Log entries show the
>8080 packet being forwarded
>
>wget requests to localhost and the local IP address succeed; appropriate
>entries appear in var/log/zope.*
>
>External requests fail
>
>No entry turns up in the zope log(s).
>
>Any ideas?

Since Zope seems to not be seeing the request, I'm guessing it's your
firewall. Can you tell by the blinking lights whether the packets are
appearing on the other side? How about packet logging on the Zope server?

It's quite possible that the output chain is blocking high ports, so
even if the forward works, it still isn't getting through. Check your
rules for this.

Most likely a Shorewall or some other firewall list will be of more help.

             --jcc

--
"My point and period will be throughly wrought,
Or well or ill, as this day's battle's fought."