[Zope] Help: My beloved Zope crashes

Hanno Schlichting schlichting at bakb.net
Tue Sep 30 07:05:06 EDT 2003

Hi all.

I've a serious problem and don't know where to look further for the
error. Hope anyone can help. (Sorry for the crosspost.)

My configuration:

Hardware: 2x 750MHz, 1GB RAM
Software: Windows 2000 SP4, Zope 2.6.2, CMF 1.3.2, Plone 1.0.5 and a
variety of other products such as CMFForum, CMFCollector,
CMFVisualEditor, Epoz, Photo and Photoalbum, TextindexNG, LocalFileSystem.

Two weeks ago I upgraded to CMF 1.4.1 and a CVS Version of Plone 1.1 but
undid (by overwritting with a backup copy of the whole zope directory)
the changes because of some errors with the plone version.

This might be unrelated but for one week knowing of no special changes
my zope instance hangs everytime I change a document or try to add one.

In detail: In the ZMI I try to change the content of a document. I click
change and my browser gets no response. I can watch my zope instance
collecting all free memory (~800MB) then suddenly releasing everything
and then going into a cycle grabbing up to 40 MB going down to 0 and
restarting this, the whole time with a processor load of 100 percent.

It looks like some kind of infinite loop, but I have no idea what could
cause this. I ran debug mode from the console but it tells me nothing. I
ran fsrecover and fspack on the database file (about 400MB) but
everything is fine.

I assume something involved in the process of saving like the catalog or
workflow might be the cause but I don't know how to track this down.

Help of any kind is appreciated.

Hanno Schlichting

---
E-Mail: schlichting at bakb.net