[Zope] Re: Tracking upload of files to Zope

J Cameron Cooper jccooper at jcameroncooper.com
Tue Sep 30 17:47:25 EDT 2003

>>The question is: to where do you want to read the progress?
>>

>I want to display to the users how far their upload is ... at this moment
>the browser looks like is has fallen a sleep.
>And the people uploading files are not used to do that (very novice users)
>so displaying and upload status to them would be nice.
>
>>Most clients, however show you the amount of bytes already
>>sent to the server, this should be informal enough.
>>

>Browsers?
>No ... they just load the new page - that's what make the users think the
>website has fallen into sleep and they start clicking all sorts of things.

I suppose you could open a new frame or something that says "Please
wait, upload is in progress" while the frame actually doing the
uploading waits to return. Upon returning, it could have a bit of
Javascript to blitz the "wait" frame. Ick! Did I just recommend Javascript?

If you want a count, you'll have to do something like I previously
posted, which will almost surely involve hacking ZServer to get the
len() of the temporary file or some such and somehow streaming (constant
refreshes?) the content back to a separate frame/window/client/whatever.

But really, it's a client-side problem.

             --jcc

--
"Code generators follow the 80/20 rule. They solve most of the problems, but not all of the problems. There are always features and edge cases that will need hand-coding. Even if code generation could build 100 percent of the application, there will still be an endless supply of boring meetings about feature design."
(http://www.devx.com/java/editorial/15511)