[Zope] Windows or Linux?

Jaroslav Lukesh lukesh at seznam.cz
Mon Apr 5 10:56:13 EDT 2004

Bill Zielinski wrote:
> Without trying to start any flamewar, I want to know which is the best
> solution for installing and running Zope.  This server is behind a firewall
> and used for development only, so it will only be seen internally.  I am
> trying to simplify the web update process for our departments, and I hope
> Zope is the answer.  I know both operating systems rather well.  It's
> between Redhat 9.2, Mandrake, and Windows 2000.  Are there limitations as to
> each?  I thank you for your input.

Both.

Linux:
Use it for main zope server. Zope have much better performance and
stability at heavy loads under linux (does not lock ups), you can run
some products only at linux OS (but these products are much interesting
than products that running only at windows).

Windows:
Use only as zope helper server (mapped via http mounter product) for
exact DOC, XLS conversion to HTML via COM (you need also Office XP to do
this job). These conversions are much better than on Linux side. You can
too run some products only at Windows OS.

But if you does not need absolutely exact look of converted HTML
documents as their office DOC/XLS originals, you probably does not need
zope on windows.

Did you see Windows server running without restart service or system for
more than one year? With linux it is true!

If I see for example long running process which consume CPU due some
attacker, I can kill only that process (thread) and Zope lives as fresh
running. But these abnormalities I was see TWO times in half year (both
was done by myself :o)

Regards

--

Jaroslav Lukeš

--
Tento e-mail nemu*že obsahovat VIRY
jelikož nepocházi z virózního systému M$ Windows!