[Zope] Ape & MySQL: Error adding ZODB MountPoint

Shane Hathaway shane at zope.com
Thu Apr 8 13:38:19 EDT 2004

Elena Schulz wrote:
> I want to add a ZODB MountPoint for an ape MySQL-Storage (My environment:
> MySQL-Server version 4.0.0-alpha-nt, Zope 2.7, WinXP). The MySQL-Server is
> running and I added a database named 'ape'.
>
> Trying to add a MySQL-connection to the Zope root object I always get an
> "Access denied for user: '@localhost' to database 'ape' " Error if I use
> just 'ape' as connection string. A connection is possible with a user from
> the acl_users.

I'd sure appreciate it if someone would clear this up.  Permissions in
MySQL seem impossibly difficult to set up correctly.  I found a hack
that allows access by anybody, but I don't want to encourage that.  I've
been over the documentation on GRANT repeatedly, but MySQL still denies
access.  (In fact, I consistently got myself locked out as root, and my
only recourse was to blow away the database.)  What are the steps,
starting with no /var/lib/mysql at all, that one should take to grant
one user access to create, read, and write all tables in one database?

Shane