[Zope] Is there a way to look at the "raw" data making up an object in the ZODB?

John Ziniti jziniti at speakeasy.net
Mon Apr 12 12:10:27 EDT 2004

Andy McKay wrote:
> John Ziniti wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to look at what an object looks like in the ZODB
>> and find out what attributes it has, without knowing the name
>> of this now-defunct attribute?
>
> $ /var/zope/bin/zopectl debug
> Starting debugger (the name "app" is bound to the top-level Zope object)
>  >>> dir(app.Plone)

Thanks, Andy.  That's pretty neat.  It's never been easier!!

Now getting to the meat of the problem I have:  I've located the
name of the attribute that is too large.  The problem is that I've
been unable to get rid of the attribute completely.  I've used a "del"
in my __setstate__, I've restarted Zope completely, and I've packed
the database.

When I use the debugger as above, the attribute that I got rid of
is no longer there, but when I export the object from the ZMI, the
.zexp is 500 KB, and I can see the name of the attribute in the
.zexp.   Why is this attribute still hanging around?

Thanks in advance,
JZ