[Zope] Ape & MySQL: Error adding ZODB MountPoint

Shane Hathaway shane at zope.com
Tue Apr 13 10:56:25 EDT 2004

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Elena Schulz wrote:

> thanks for the input about adding users to mysql. But still I cannot get ape
> running with mysql getting the same error.
> So my questions are:
>
> 1. Do I need to add a Z MySQL Database Connection in the root or somewhere
> else or does ape add one by default?

No, Ape does not use Zope's database adapters.  It uses the Python DB-API
module interface.  You seem to already have everything you need installed.

> 2. If so what are the required parameters (id, user, password) if any? An
> example would be fine.
> 3. What has to be setup in the zope.conf concerning the mysql database?
> Something like: connect(db='ape' , user=?, password=?)

Perhaps.  The problem has nothing to do with Ape.  You need to figure out
how to connect to MySQL.  I would work on connecting using the "mysql"
command-line client first.

I'll try to give you pointers, but I don't have much expertise in this
area.  For testing, I wiped out my MySQL database and started over this
way (as root):

/etc/init.d/mysql stop
rm -rf /var/lib/mysql
mysql_install_db
/etc/init.d/mysql start

Then, still as root, I ran the "mysql" client.  I typed this:

create database ape;
grant all privileges on ape.* to 'shane'@'localhost';

This seemed to give me access.  I imagine a real MySQL install would need
to lock things down better.

Shane