[Zope] Zope and Javascript

Geir Bækholt lists at elvix.com
Thu Apr 15 04:30:15 EDT 2004

Asad,

> Does anyone know of any resources that describe the use of Javascript
> within Zope? In particular, I am trying to call a Javascript function
> using the onChange event handler that is tied to a HTML select element. I
> need this Javascript function to perform an SQL query and then have it
> populate another HTML select element with the result set. Is this possible
> within Zope considering that queries are performed by Z SQL methods and
> possible other factors that I am unaware of? Any help would be greatly
> appreciated. Thanks.

As javascript is executed on the client, not on the server, where the
sql is, you will need some way for Javascript to talk to Zope without
refreshing the browser window.
I have used the vcXMLRPC library ( http://www.vcdn.org/Public/XMLRPC/
) with great success for this kind of thing. - It should work almost out of
the box as Zope has great support for XMLRPC.

Good luck

 Geir Bækholt    ·   Interaction Engineer   ·    Plone Solutions

 Development · Training · Support · http://www.plonesolutions.com