[Zope] Running Zope and ZEO server in one process?

Gfeller Martin Martin.Gfeller at comit.ch
Mon Apr 19 08:44:47 EDT 2004

Dear Zopistas and ZEOxperts,

In our application, we have lots of standard tasks for which
one Zope server is adequate, and a few long-running analysis
tasks which we would like to delegate to another process,
mainly to take advantage of multiple-CPU machines.

The delegated analysis tasks would only need read-only access
to (a number of) ZODB databases, while the standard tasks
modify the databases.

I fear that a standard ZEO setup with one storage server, a
read-write client, and a number of read-only client would slow
down affairs for the main Zope tasks, as there are quite a
number of writes (no problem with a single server). Furthermore,
it would probably increase memory requirements, as both the
Storage Server and the Zope Servers would need substantial caches.

Is there a way to run the ZEO server protocol in the main Zope
server, i.e., have a single process that is both a Zope server
and serves other ZEO clients? Are there other routes I should try?
I have also tried to simply open the ZODB DBs read-only from
another process, but that doesn't give me the updates to the
objects after the initial open.

Thank you, and best regards,
Martin Gfeller

COMIT Gruppe