[Zope] Question about application design

Robb Shecter robb at acm.org
Tue Apr 20 09:12:24 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm not sure how to do my current project in a Zope environment:

It's something like a trip planner that computes an itinerary.  Pretty
simple use case actually - the user submits origin and destination, and
potential trip plans are returned.

BUT:  What I want to do is keep the data structure in memory.  Right now,
I have this written as a standalone Python app that creates all the
objects it needs, and then uses an algorithm to find the shortest path.

This is the typical application server scenario: I want the Python
classes to only do the startup work once, and then just answer requests
which run an algorithm over the data.  But how to do this with Zope?

As far as I can tell, the Python Scripts are stateless.

The only idea I've had so far is to make my Python app into a standalone
server which answers requests via XML-RPC.  Then Zope stands between it
and the user.

But is there any way to use just Zope, and not maintain my own server too?

Thanks!
Robb