[Zope] Question about application design

Alec Mitchell apm13 at columbia.edu
Tue Apr 20 14:36:59 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 20 April 2004 11:20 am, Robb Shecter wrote:
> Yes, from my diving into the docs, it looks like that's the route I might
> have to go:
>
> I'll have about 150,000 objects - all in one or two "Sparse Matrix"
> containers I use.  And then I do a Dijkstra-like shortest path finding
> algorithm over the data.
>
> So apparently, I can't just take this data structure and stick it in a
> temp_folder.
>
> It sounds to me like Zope isn't so much an application server as a CMS
> server.  Too bad!  For example, with Tomcat, a Java servlet engine, my
> scenario would be pretty easy to implement.

I think you'll be surprised how easy it is to create a persistent container
for that data (just inheriting Item.SimpleItem should get you most of the way
there, then you just create instances of your container data structure as an
instance variable in the constructor).  Zope is definitely more of an
application server than a CMS (though with the right products it makes a hell
of a CMS), it is just a very different way of thinking about the problem than
a java servlet engine (or really anything else).  Though the ZMI looks like a
filesystem, it is a very powerful and general persistent object storage with
a very useful acquisition model.

Good Luck,
Alec Mitchell