[Zope] Re: Zope & logrotate

Nate Aune nate at lld.dk
Wed Apr 21 05:54:38 EDT 2004

Hi Paul,

As with most Zope sites, we are using Apache in front of Zope and
therefore using Apache's logging facilities instead of the Z2.log file
creating by Zope.

We are now trying to build a backup script to backup our Zope
products/data/logs and would like to know how to backup the log files
without losing any data.

We are using rdiff-backup and it doesn't like it if the file changes
while it's doing the backup. This is why we are packing the database
before each backup and backing up the Data.fs.old file instead of the
live Data.fs file.

But we would not like to rotate the log files daily just to get a file
that we can backup. We'd prefer to rotate the log files monthly, but do
daily backups.

Is there a 'best practice' way of handling the backups of these Apache
log files?  We've had a look at the AWStats FAQ-COM120 ("How to rotate
my logs without loosing data"), but this still doesn't explain the issue
of backing up the log files without doing daily rotations.

Nate