[Zope] Re: Zope & logrotate

Bobb rawbobb at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 22 13:05:39 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nate Aune" <nate at lld.dk>
To: <zope at zope.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 5:54 AM
Subject: [Zope] Re: Zope & logrotate

> Hi Paul,
>
> As with most Zope sites, we are using Apache in front of Zope and
> therefore using Apache's logging facilities instead of the Z2.log file
> creating by Zope.
>
> We are now trying to build a backup script to backup our Zope
> products/data/logs and would like to know how to backup the log files
> without losing any data.
>
> We are using rdiff-backup and it doesn't like it if the file changes
> while it's doing the backup. This is why we are packing the database
> before each backup and backing up the Data.fs.old file instead of the
> live Data.fs file.
>
> But we would not like to rotate the log files daily just to get a file
> that we can backup. We'd prefer to rotate the log files monthly, but do
> daily backups.

Couldn't you write a cron job that will duplicate (or append to new file)
the file prior to backing up and backup that file?

I'm also thinking (outloud) that rotating the log at midnight daily would
close the old version, and then the only
backup you wouldn't have would be the open file from the rotate time to the
backup time, which would be backed up
the next day.

Maybe i'm not getting the problem.

hth