[Zope] Textarea changes vanishing... my bad, or is IE evil?

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Aug 3 18:09:26 EDT 2004

Sorry for borderline-off-topic posting, but I'd like to see if
anyone else in zope-land is observing this behavior...

Some of my zope users have been complaining recently that
their edits mysteriously vanish. Today we came up with
a consistently reproducible case:
1. go to any page template... let's call it my_template
2. make some changes and submit
3. navigate to somewhere else
4. navigate back to my_template's edit form
   (not using the back button, but i don't know if that matters).
   Now the textarea shows the text as it was
   at step 1, when it should show the text as it was after step 2.

At this point, if you hit refresh, your changes from step 2 show up
and all is good. But if you forget to do so, you'll be editing
stale text and wiping out the work you did in step 2.

Changing the Internet Options settings does not help... we've all
got it set to check for new versions every time.

The reason I am suspicious of IE is that I cannot reproduce the
bad behavior with any mozilla-based browser that I've tried
(firefox/linux, mozilla 1.5/linux, netscape 7.1 / w2k).

We've only seen this for a few weeks so I'm wondering if it could
be part of a windows update IE fix.

But the really maddenign thing is that now I can't
reproduce the behavior on a fresh zope 2.7.0 instance.

Sigh...  maybe I just have some bad AcceleratedHTTPCacheManager settings
somewhere but I really can't find anything suspicious so far.
Any other ideas, anyone?

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com