[Zope] Re: MySQL thread connection question

Andy Dustman farcepest at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 10:29:34 EDT 2004

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:22:43 +0100, Chris Withers
<chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> Allen Schmidt wrote:

> > What if we add
> > more ZEO clients on the same or different servers? And each with 6 or 7
> > Zope threads...and each have the same number of database connections?
>
> Well, then you have a helluva lot of MySQL connections ;-)
> It largely depends how ZMySQLDA manages its connections to MySQL, and
> you'd have to ask Andy Dustman about that...
>
> > Hundreds of MySQL connections... That seems it can only cause more
> > problems. Just not sure.
>
> Yep, 'cos if it works like most DA's, only a fraction of those will ever
> get used, and the rest will just hang around doing nothing :-(

I would say, it works like most DA's, i.e. ZMySQLDA doesn't add any
connection pooling features itself. I suspect you should have one
connection per Zope thread (after a sufficient number of requests).
--
Computer interfaces should never be made of meat.