[Zope] Mounted Databases with ZEO and Zope 2.7.2

Travis Miller travis at ctln.org
Mon Aug 16 08:58:34 EDT 2004

hi

On Aug 16, 2004, at 7:02 AM, Chris Withers wrote:

> Travis Miller wrote:
>> we've been using mount points quite extensively on our zope server.
>> basically we have ~30 plone sites running on one zope instance (and
>> expect more).
>
> Wow. Why? ;-)

why have so many portals? or why have so many in a single instance? ;-)

   * each of our agency divisions & clients have very unique needs and
wants for plone.

   * seems as though one instance would be easier to administer and
maintain. ???

>> object within it, but that would be 20/20 wouldn't it? B-)   ...but,
>> the point is that we solved this by creating a new zope instance with
>> its regular Data.fs file, creating the plone site with the desired id
>> (www) in the root of that db, and then mounting that new Data.fs
>> file, back into the actual zope instance we were working with.
>
> This sounds like the correct thing to do :-)
>
>> so it seems as if the 'mount-point' directive in the zodb_db config
>> indicates where the object is to be placed in the database tree, but
>> also indicates where to pull the object from in the mounted db.
>
> Correct.
>
>> part of finding the object includes walking back up the db
>> tree...(like acquisition?)
>
> No idea what you mean by this.

ok.

# the mount-point directive defines the point where to mount the object
in the
# destination db, but also tells where to pull the object from in the
source db.
mount-point /Portals/example.com/www

so, if in the source db, i create the plone portal object(www) in the
/Portals/example.com folder, the mount-point config finds that www
object there and then mounts it in the same path in the destination db.
however, if i create that plone portal object anywhere else along that
path (/Portals/www, /www) in the source db, the same mount-point
configuration finds the object and mounts it according to the
mount-point directive.

>> obviously this is not a configuration for zeo, but the same seems to
>> still apply when split across a zeo configuration.
>
> What do you mean by this?

my example configurations show a single zope instance setup. the same
configuration could be achieved through a zeo setup.

single zope instance::

   zope.conf
   -------------------------------
   <zodb_db main>
     mount-point /
     <filestorage>
       path $INSTANCE/var/Data.fs
     </filestorage>
   </zodb_db>
   <zodb_db com.example.www>
     mount-point /Portals/example.com/www
     <filestorage>
       path $INSTANCE/var/Portals/example.com/www/Data.fs
     </filestorage>
   </zodb_db>

zeo setup::

   zeo.conf
   -------------------------------
   <filestorage main>
     path $INSTANCE/var/Data.fs
   </filestorage>
   <filestorage com.example.www>
     path $INSTANCE/var/Portals/example.com/www/Data.fs
   </filestorage>

   zope.conf
   -------------------------------
   <zodb_db main>