[Zope] Re: fastcgi with zope

Jochen Knuth J.Knuth at ipro.de
Thu Aug 19 15:39:32 EDT 2004

Hi,

Josef Albert Meile schrieb:

> Actually, I know this doesn't solve your problem, I saw your last
> message where you said you need fastcgi. I only want to point Simon out
> that proxypass can make a server an anonymous proxy, that's what I found
> here:
>
> http://www.zope.org/Members/asv/Personal%20Docs/HowTo.2004-04-07.3618
>
> use mod_rewrite instead. It does the same job as well and you won't have
> abusers using your server to browse anonymously.

you know that mod_rewrite uses mod_proxy if you have a [P] at the end of
your RewriteRule?

 From the mod_rewrite docs:
  'proxy|P' (force proxy)
This flag forces the substitution part to be internally forced as a
proxy request and immediately (i.e., rewriting rule processing stops
here) put through the proxy module. You have to make sure that the
substitution string is a valid URI (e.g., typically starting with
http://hostname) which can be handled by the Apache proxy module. If not
you get an error from the proxy module. Use this flag to achieve a more
powerful implementation of the ProxyPass directive, to map some remote
stuff into the namespace of the local server.

Notice: To use this functionality make sure you have the proxy module
compiled into your Apache server program. If you don't know please check
whether mod_proxy.c is part of the ``httpd -l'' output. If yes, this
functionality is available to mod_rewrite. If not, then you first have
to rebuild the ``httpd'' program with mod_proxy enabled.

Also you can limit who can use the proxy (from the mod_proxy docs):
Controlling access to your proxy
You can control who can access your proxy via the normal <Directory>
control block using the following example:

<Directory proxy:*>
Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all
Allow from yournetwork.example.com
</Directory>

[...]
When using a reverse proxy (using the ProxyPass directive with
ProxyRequests Off), access control is less critical because clients can
only contact the hosts that you have specifically configured.

> Regards,
> Josef

ciao,
Jochen
Jochen Knuth          WebMaster http://www.ipro.de
IPRO GmbH             Phone ++49-7152-93330
Steinbeisstr. 6       Fax ++49-7152-933340
71229 Leonberg        EMail: J.Knuth at ipro.de