[Zope] Re: Advice on upgrade?

Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Fri Aug 20 17:54:40 EDT 2004

Ah, I'd wondered whether I could safely do that ... Just never really knew
exactly how
tied to a version an instance might be ... There could be changes in the
ZCML for zope.conf
for instance? ... Which is why I decided to to do it this way.

Good to know the option is there though ... Maybe I'll do that next upgrade.

J.F.

-----Original Message-----
From: zope-bounces at zope.org [mailto:zope-bounces at zope.org]On Behalf Of
Paul Winkler
Sent: August 20, 2004 5:15 PM
To: zope at zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope] Re: Advice on upgrade?

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 04:36:40PM -0400,
Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca wrote:
> Yup, or maybe when you re-edited zope.conf you missed something.

Or maybe you also need to edit the paths in bin/runzope
and bin/zopectl.

But I wouldn't take that approach at all.
One nice thing about instances is that you don't have to tie them
to a particular release and you shouldn't have to edit anything
when you upgrade.

What I do is this:

1) install zope in a versionless directory, e.g. in your example
/var/zope

2) cd /var/zope and create your instance, e.g. in your example:
/var/zope/bin/mkzopeinstance.py
and name the instance something like:
/var/zope-instance  (again, no version number)

3)  mv /var/zope /var/zope272
4)  ln -s /var/zope272 /var/zope

Having done all that, your future upgrades will be easier.
E.g. when zope 2.7.3 comes out, you can install it in /var/zope273
and then do:
ln -sf /var/zope273 /var/zope

and you're done.
No changes in your instance necessary.