[Zope] Interest in continued Oracle support in Zope

Dario Lopez-Kästen dario at ita.chalmers.se
Thu Aug 26 02:10:28 EDT 2004

[Sent to zope-db as well, this version better edited]

Greets, ladies and gentlemen.

I worry about the future of Oracle support in Zope, and in Python, too,
for that matter. So I am wondering what interest there actually is for
having Oracle support in Python/zope, I have a few questions:

(Oracle support = having quality Oracle connectivity from python/Zope)

1) Does anyone else out there have a business case for
    using Oracle with Python/Zope?

2) Will those from (1) suffer badly, ie. will switch
    from Python or Zope to something else, if Oracle
    support in Python/Zope would dissapear?

3) Will those from (1) suffer badly, ie. will switch
    from Python or Zope to something else, if Oracle
    support is not improved? (ie less crashes, better
    throughput, etc).

4) Of those who say yes to at least one of 1-3, which
    ones can invest actual cash to create and maintain
    good quality Oracle Support in Python/Zope?

5) Of those who say yes to at least one of 1-3, which
    ones can invest *time* to create and maintain good
    quality Oracle Support in Python/Zope?

What are the sentiments of other people on this list?

I myself say yes to 1-3; however, at the moment I can only invest time
(somewhat limited) and no cash.

Also, I seem to be one of those that really stretch the limits on
DCOracle2 - we use it super-extensivly for thousends of users, and seem
to encounter all kinds of problems with it, ranging from lockups to
connectivity loss.

So I am interested in finding out if there actually are people using
Oracle with Zope/Python and what their thoughts are.

Thanks,

/dario