[Zope] Interest in continued Oracle support in Zope

Dario Lopez-Kästen dario at ita.chalmers.se
Thu Aug 26 10:22:22 EDT 2004

Anthony Baxter wrote:

> We don't see this. We run on Solaris, talking to Oracle 8.1.7, with a
> couple of dozen ZEO clients across the entire installation - they all
> have at least one connection to an Oracle database - in some cases,
> they have several different connections (for instance, SQLSession
> works far better if you give it it's own DB connection). The primary
> cluster has something like 9 ZEO clients, and it gets hammered 24x7. I
> cannot recall the last time we had problems with the Zope/Oracle
> interaction, it's at least a couple of years ago. This has been in use
> for something like 5+ years now.

this is certainly encouraging, in terms of opening the possibility of
errors on our behalf that we can fix.

We had *terrible* performace with Solaris in general with python and
Zope so we reluctantly abondened Solaris about 2 years ago. This was
probably due to not fully understanding the implications of the GIL at
the time.

On Linux we have had problems when running long, slow queries, and
having several instances of DCOracel DA.

We have expericend loss of connectivity and having 3 of 4 of zope's
threads being completly non-responsive, even when the site is idle.