[Zope] Abracadabra Object and PropertyTools Example?

S. D. sdownie at myway.com
Thu Aug 26 10:53:18 EDT 2004

I just ran across Maik's Abracadabra Object and PropertyTools products and
they look like the answer one of my big headaches: How do I get our
developers to stop using Microsoft Access and start using Zope/Plone.

I installed both AO and PT in a new Plone 2.0.4 test site (Win 2k), putting
Maik's products in the Data/Products folder created by the Plone installer.
All the products seem to be happy. Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure what to
do next. On the PropertyTools page, there is this example:
-----
* Create a folder called contacts.
  [I understand.]
* Create a "standard_object_folder" in contacts.
  [I assume this is another regular Zope "Folder" and not a new
"standard_object_folder" that should appear in the
  Zope drop-down list. If so, OK. I created a folder named
"standard_object_folder".]
* Enter the "standard_object_folder", add a PropertyTools-Object and edit
the property-sheet. Add new properties "email", "homepage" and "phone" as
string-types.
  [There is no "PropertyTools-Object" in Zope's list. I assume this is the
"PropertyObject" list item. If so, I create it but what ID should it have? I
gave it an "Object" id. The new PropertyObject appears with a "Title"
property. I leave "Title" as it is and add the other properties.]
* Go to the Manage-Tab: Set Object-Type = Contact, Unlock "Extensible
Properties".
  [OK.]
* Enter your contacts folder.
  [This is the original folder we created in step 1. OK.]
* Create a Catalog with id=Catalog.
  [There is no item in the Zope list named "Catalog" so I assume this is a
"ZCatalog". OK.]
* Add some contacts with the AbracadabraObject.
  [How do you do this? I entered the new ZCatalog named "Catalog" and
selected "Abracadabra Object" from the drop-down list. Zope displayed an
"Add Abracadbra Object" page which, by default, listed "Object/ID/TITLE" in
three fields. When I clicked the Add button, I saw an "ERROR: Valid id is
required" message. What does this mean?]
* With Z-Search-Interface create a search for your contacts and here you
are...;-)
  [I haven't made it this far yet. Is there a special procedure for
Z-Search-Interface or will the defaults it uses work for an intial setup?]

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Scott