[Zope] Thierry Belgium : Zope backup trouble "Attempt to store an object from a foreign database connection"

GOYVAERTS Thierry Thierry.Goyvaerts at skynet.be
Tue Aug 31 04:34:12 EDT 2004

Hello,

  In the previous versions of Zope (like : 2.4.2); I used two
  external methods to make entire backup and restore of all the
  Zope documents, see : the source script and procedure below.

  Now, I install Zope 2.7.2 and then add my two external methods as
  usual to restore all my applications from the previous version
(2.4.2).
  It works very well but when I try to use the backup method I
  receive the following error :

    "Attempt to store an object from a foreign database connection"

  Is it a bug or some modified functionality of Zope ?  Somebody could
  guide me ?

  Thierry

  Thierry.Goyvaerts at skynet.be

  Procedure to install and use the full backup/restore methods :

  Create a module, backup.py, with the contents of the source
  (given in the tied code file) within the Extensions directory of your
  e-Solution instance.

  Create two external methods, "restore" and "backup" in your root
  folder by pointing them at Extensions/backup.py -> restore
  and Extensions/backup.py -> backup.

  After creating the two external methods, protect each of them
  with a management-level permission.

  To back up your e-Solution, visit the "test" tab of the backup
  external method. A file named "e-Solution_backup.zexp" will be
  downloaded to your local machine via your browser.

  To restore your e-solution, place the "e-Solution_backup.zexp"
  file in the "import" directory of your e-Solution instance, and
  press the "test" tab of the restore external method. Be careful,
  this overwrites anything that exists with the same name.

  Note that the "zexp" file created by 'backup' may not successfully
  be imported using the standard import feature, it needs to be
  imported via the "restore" external method.

  Source file Extensions\backup.py :

import Globals
import os
from Acquisition import aq_base
from cStringIO import StringIO
from Globals import MessageDialog
from ZODB.PersistentMapping import PersistentMapping

def backup(self, REQUEST=None, download=1,
filename='e-Solution_backup.zexp'):
    """ saves backup file to var or allows download of backup file"""
    if download:  f = StringIO()
    else:  f = os.path.join(Globals.data_dir, filename)
    self.c = PersistentMapping()
    for k, v in self.objectItems():  self.c[k] = aq_base(v)
    get_transaction().commit()
    self.c._p_jar.exportFile(self.c._p_oid, f)
    del self.c
    if download:
        REQUEST.RESPONSE.setHeader('Content-type', 'application/data')
        REQUEST.RESPONSE.setHeader('Content-Disposition',
                                   'inline;filename=%s' % filename)
        return f.getvalue()
    else:
        return MessageDialog(
            title="e-Solution backed up successfully",
            message="<EM>All items in root</EM> sucessfully\
            exported to <pre>%s</pre>." % f,
            action="manage_main")

def restore(self, REQUEST=None, filename='e-Solution_backup.zexp'):
    """ restores backup file from 'import' """
    dirname, file=os.path.split(filename)
    if dirname:
        raise 'Bad Request', 'Invalid file name %s' % filename

    instance_home = INSTANCE_HOME
    software_home = os.path.join(SOFTWARE_HOME, '..%s..' % os.sep)
    software_home = os.path.normpath(software_home)

    for impath in (instance_home, software_home):
        filepath = os.path.join(impath, 'import', filename)
        if os.path.exists(filepath):
            break
    else:
        raise 'Bad Request', 'File does not exist: %s' % filename

    conn = self._p_jar
    ob = conn.importFile(filepath)
    for k, v in ob.items():
        try: self._delObject(k)
        except AttributeError: pass
        self._setObject(k, v)
    return MessageDialog(
            title="e-Solution restored successfully",
            message="All items from <EM>%s</EM> sucessfully\
            imported into <pre>root</pre>." % filepath,
            action="manage_main")