[Zope] proxy tool for Zope/Plone

Bakhtiar A Hamid kedai at kedai.com.my
Tue Aug 31 13:50:33 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 01 September 2004 01:28, Max M wrote:
> I need to integrate a few external .asp based web tools into a plone site.
>
> Instead of recoding them and converting them to Zope products, I want to
> do it by "importing" them into Page templates.
>
> What I need is basically to browse another webpage through a Plone Page
> template, so that I can keep the look and feel of the Plone site. Just
> as if I jused frames or iframes.
>
> I have made something similar in the past, but not as complete.

there's KebasData (http://sf.net/projects/kebasdata)
i don't think it's complete in a sense, but it does accomodate my needs.
maybe your product is more complete compared to mine ;)

essentially, KebasData
- grabs a url (uses urllib, with timeout)
- gets the data we want (by matching the regex; a .* gets everything), this is
quite painful at the moment if we're targeting specific data.  hints to
improve is appreciated
- and gives us the chance to do stuff to the data (rewrite, replace, etc).
this is done in Script (Python) or DTML Method.  a bonus is that we can cache
these objects.

an example is at http://www.my-zope.org. there's news from zope.org.  and i
used to get the latest message from yahoo zope list, but that failed sometime
ago .. i havent yet investigated why..

> I can see this as a usefull tool in many situations. So I wondered if
> anybody has done something similar allready, and have any experiences
> they want to share.

iirc, there's httpmounter or somesuch done by jens or ajung..

> I especially wondered if there would be an advantage to using
> Squid/Apache as a middle layer, so that I wouldn't have to do the url
> rewriting myself :-s

this, didn;t even cross my mind.  how do you think this can be done?

> Any knowledge of documentation/pitfalls would also be appreciated.

i would think the remote sites accessability is important, hence the timeout.
otherwise, our site will be blockin when all threads are trying to access the
b0rked site.