[Zope] Can Zope Do....?

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Thu Dec 2 01:40:25 EST 2004

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 08:27:23PM -0500, Alan Snyder wrote:
> ... My experience with app servers is
> only with J2EE and JBoss -- a wonderful application, but a lot of
> overkill at times. However, when you need heavy duty stuff -
> transactions, object persistence, etc., it's a blessing.

"heavy duty"? You get object persistence and transactions
from zope almost without paying any attention to what you're
doing ;-)

FWIW, where I work we run zope as well as a jboss app.
The zope server is typically up for weeks until we restart
it for software updates. The jboss server is down frequently.
We've got it to the point where it's not down every day, but
there's still no comparison in terms of which server is more
stable *with our apps*.  YMMV.

> suit my needs. I do need CMS functions in the apps I'll be developing
> (file upload/download, Wiki, etc.), so if I could get a consistent
> look and feel from Plone and still have the power and functionality of
> Zope, that would be good. Is this likely / possible, or, am I totally
> off here?

You're not off, you're on :-)

Note that Plone is not the only option - there's also Nuxeo CPS
worth a look, as well as Silva, and you could always build a CMS
yourself on top of CMFDefault if the more polished apps have
more framework than you feel like dealing with.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com