[Zope] Can Zope Do....?

Alan Snyder alan8373 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 12:05:09 EST 2004

I'm in love with zope from what i've seen of this Elvis Sightings
interactive demo. It's so friggin' easy to build functionalities into
pages. Holy smokes!!

Before I go further with this, I have some questions...

1) I am creating all of these pages through the zope manager interface
which is great, but is it possible, and if so how, to do what I'm
doing here and update a client remotely through something like a CVS
or some pre-packaged zope update? Is it a matter of just copying files
and such from a folder (like the parent elvis sightings folder), or do
i need to grab stuff from different zope config areas and work it.
Bottom line - is there any synchronization or update mechanisms
available that let me develop and fix sites locally and effect those
changes on a remote server, i.e. at a client?
2) I saw in one of the chapters that each page can reference a
template (like standard_template.something)... This looks really cool
for giving a similar layout to pages in a "folder". Can sub-folder
templates "over-ride" parent folder templates. In other words, if i
copy the "standard_template" file to a sub folder and slightly modify
it will that version be picked up by those folder's pages, or will the
parent version be used?
3) What are the items in that drop down list of things in the upper
right corner of every folder called? It has stuff like "DTML Document,
Mai Host..." Are those "products"? Where can I find more of those.
They're wonderful. Also - how hard are they to install at a client?
What mechanisms are available for producing "install scripts" for
clients who want to use the stuff I build?

Thanks again.

Lovin' Zope so far!