[Zope] Can Zope Do....?

Jerry Westrick jerry at westrick.com
Thu Dec 2 16:46:27 EST 2004

On Thursday 02 December 2004 18:05, Alan Snyder wrote:
> I'm in love with zope from what i've seen of this Elvis Sightings
> interactive demo. It's so friggin' easy to build functionalities into
> pages. Holy smokes!!
>
> Before I go further with this, I have some questions...
>
> 1) I am creating all of these pages through the zope manager interface
> which is great, but is it possible, and if so how, to do what I'm
> doing here and update a client remotely through something like a CVS
> or some pre-packaged zope update? Is it a matter of just copying files
> and such from a folder (like the parent elvis sightings folder), or do
> i need to grab stuff from different zope config areas and work it.
> Bottom line - is there any synchronization or update mechanisms
> available that let me develop and fix sites locally and effect those
> changes on a remote server, i.e. at a client?

Yes, there is a nifty synchronization product, which once installed on
2 zope instances, will show you a diff, and synchronize them for you!

Search zope.org products section for synch...

> 2) I saw in one of the chapters that each page can reference a
> template (like standard_template.something)... This looks really cool
> for giving a similar layout to pages in a "folder". Can sub-folder
> templates "over-ride" parent folder templates. In other words, if i
> copy the "standard_template" file to a sub folder and slightly modify
> it will that version be picked up by those folder's pages, or will the
> parent version be used?

That is one of the main purposes of the whole thingy!
Now you got the Idea!

> 3) What are the items in that drop down list of things in the upper
> right corner of every folder called? It has stuff like "DTML Document,
> Mai Host..." Are those "products"? Where can I find more of those.
> They're wonderful. Also - how hard are they to install at a client?
> What mechanisms are available for producing "install scripts" for
> clients who want to use the stuff I build?

They are prodcuts, usually installation consists of copying an additional
directory to the products directory, and restarting zope.   Some products are
a little more complex (require special python packages, or linux/windows
dlls)

You can find most on zope.org download zope products section.

You rest you have to google for!

I suggest you look into zetadb, it sounds like it might be usefull to you!

Jerry