[Zope] troubleshooting instance that won't serve pages

Catherine Devlin catherine.devlin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 21:31:01 EST 2004

Hi!  I need suggestions in troubleshooting one of my Zope instances.
It acts like it's starting fine, whether I start it from the command
prompt ("ZServer HTTP server started... Port: 8080") or as a Windows
service.  But trying to access any page that it should serve only
gives "The page is currently unavailable".

I need some information on what is going wrong, but the places I've
checked aren't helping.

Things I have checked:
- The URL is correct, and using the hard-coded IP address doesn't help.
- The port number I'm trying to get to (8080) is the same one Zope
reports when it starts.
- Firefox and Internet Explorer fail equally.
- A process is listed in the Windows Task Manager.  It appears when I
start Zope and disappears when I stop it.
- The Windows Event Viewer shows no events related to Zope.
- I set the logger level in /etc/zope.conf to ALL for <eventlog>,
<logger access>, and <logger trace>, and restart the instance, yet the
final entry in /log/event.log is simply "2004-12-15T15:12:35 INFO(0)
Zope Ready to handle requests".  /log/Z2.log and /log/trace.log show
nothing.
- Running "netstat" shows nothing claiming port 8080 - which might
explain why the page won't come up - yet it doesn't tell me why!
- Of course, I can't access the through-the-webpage Zope log...

I am out of troubleshooting ideas!  I don't know where else I can
look.  Is there anyplace else I can look for a hint of what's
happening?

Thanks so much for your help!
- Catherine
--