[Zope] Catatonic Zope Server

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Fri Dec 17 15:15:25 EST 2004

Malcolm Cleaton wrote at 2004-12-17 11:30 +0000:
>Recently, the disk containing Data.fs became full, and we had some strange
>conflict errors, where the error message appeared to suggest that our
>transaction had caused a conflict because it had started many hours ago,
>which of course it hadn't.

Usually, the dates are reliable -- unless your system has severe
memory problems...

>But
>now, the server has gone into a catatonic state just after a restart, at
>least twice. In this state, nothing appears in the Z2 or event logs, and
>requests for pages appear to mostly time out (although apache, for
>whatever reason, served up empty responses with a 200 ok code for some
>Zope requests during this time).

Startup problems (these are those where nothing appears in the
event log file) are best analysed via:

      export EVENT_LOG_FILE=<logfile name>
      bin/runzope

You should see all log messages in the file identified
by "<logfile name>" -- even those that are usually
suppressed (for an arcane feature).

>The server sits in this dead state until it is restarted. The last time it
>happened, it would not restart correctly until zeo had also been restarted.

There is a HowTo about "Debugging a spinning Zope".
It may help you to analyse the problem.

However, from your description, I would not trust your server.
Maybe, there is some hardware problem.

We, too, run busy Zope sites and have not seen any of your problems.

--
Dieter