[Zope] oo scripts and zope

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Tue Feb 3 22:52:18 EST 2004

On Tuesday 03 February 2004 01:19 pm, patrick sullivan
wrote:
> i was trying to think of a way to make my scripts more
> OO in design, taking advantage of python.  i was thinking
> of the short term by making a script(python) object, and
> having a class definition for some object, such as

IMHO, if you are sharp enough to write OO code, you'll
probably be happier writing a Zope Product
instead of a script.  That way you create an object (or
objects) that are specialized for the job you want to
do.  Look at the Zope Developer's Guide on the zope.org
website for guidance on how to start that (there are
books and other resources available, too).

Trying to create objects and manipulate them *within*
Python scripts is kind of obtuse -- the objects have to
get created each time the script runs, and it's typically
going to be very convoluted and inefficient as a result.

You should think of scripts as "methods" of the folder
object they are contained in (as well as of any object
which can *acquire* them, of course).

Inside Zope Products, though, OO is the way to go,
definitely (in fact, you can hardly avoid it).

Cheers,
Terry