[Zope] external methods and pyc files

Richard Jolly r.jolly at bridgelinkit.com
Wed Feb 4 07:20:17 EST 2004

Hi,

I'm new to Zope, and I've inherited a project with a bug that I've been
unable to solve for a couple of days. Please excuse any wrong-terminology.

There is a zope installation, with two containers under the root folder.
In each of these there is an external method having the same name,
'search'. On the public side of the site its clear that, on occaision,
the wrong one of these external methods is called.

Root
     methx_search
     methx_search

The methx's contain sql statements pointing to different databases, and
the error messages I get are sql errors ( 'no column ...' ), which is
why its pretty clear which one is being called.

I couldn't find any obvious reason why the wrong one was being called,
but I found I could disambiguate the external methods by renaming them
A_methx_search and B_methx_search in the ZMI, and saving the methods to
reload them. This worked, albeit proving I don't understand the root of
the problem, however...

The customer installation of this only includes the .pyc files that
contain the external methods. When I try to rename and reload with the
.pyc files only in the Extensions folder the problem does not get
solved. When I remove the .pyc files and put the original .py files in
place, everything works fine. What is going on?

Finally, when I have .py files only, no .pyc files are generated, which
I find slightly confusing.

Thanks,

Richard