[Zope] external methods and pyc files

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Thu Feb 5 11:59:04 EST 2004

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 04:44:06PM +0000, Richard Jolly wrote:
> It turns out that renaming, via the ZMI, the external methods is not
> sufficient. They still get confused. Presumably if I rename the methods
> is the py files this would finally eliminate the problem.

This is very doubtful.
The function names in Extentions/*.py should be irrelevant
to all objects other than the External Method itself.
When a Zope object calls an external method, it does so by the
name of the external method in the ZMI.

At this point, still knowing nothing about your application,
I wonder if there is another layer of indirection involved
where the confusion happens. You have two differently-named
external methods; therefore you can only get the wrong one
if you ask for the wrong one; therefore, the error must
be elsewhere than in the external methods.

Make sure you really understand which objects are calling the
external methods and when. Is there one object that decides
which one to call? Is there a cache manager caching this object?
Or are there multiple objects that call the ext. methods?

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com