[Zope] OT: Q about mockup-making software

J Cameron Cooper jccooper at jcameroncooper.com
Thu Feb 5 19:25:50 EST 2004

Paul Winkler wrote:

>On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 05:24:32PM -0600, J Cameron Cooper wrote:
>

>>Chris McDonough wrote:

>>>Also, I don't even care that the resulting mockup looks much like what
>>>it will eventually look like in HTML.  The mockup doesn't even need to
>>>be dynamic (it needn't show the actual dropping down of dropdown boxes,
>>>or the actual scrolling of multiselect boxes, etc).  The only dynamicism
>>>required is a capability that would allow me to create a set of images
>>>that could be navigated by mouse clicks, each mouse click which would
>>>essentially just lead to another "page" which could itself be a static
>>>image with hotspots representing clickable areas.
>>>
>>hat sounds exactly like Denim.
>>http://guir.berkeley.edu/projects/denim/
>>
>>It's pretty nice, though there are a few things it could do better (like
>>have templates for creating new pages.)
>>
>>I tend to draw "looks" with GIMP and then follow up with clickable
>>mockups with Denim.
>>

>That looks pretty cool.
>Can you easily import your graphics from GIMP into Denim?
>They seem to encourage doing everything in denim with
>a graphics tablet & stylus.
>
>highlight of the promo video: "Bob is struck by sudden inspiration..."

Denim, alas, doesn't support images. I can see why they wouldn't focus
much on that at the beginning due to its focus on sketchability. But it
would be nice to have for supplementing the look of the produced sites.

It's under a Berkeley license, so I suppose you can add that it you're
motivated enough.

I just sketch the outlines of the basic graphical structures from the
image. Which is actually quite nice, as clients tend not to get bogged
down in details. You can say "we'll deal with that later" but a sketch
like that says it for you. Very effectively.

(You can use a mouse rather than a pen-input system, in case anyone was
wondering.)

       --jcc

--
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you."