[Zope] running 2.7 w/out daemon manager

Jamie Heilman jamie at audible.transient.net
Thu Feb 12 17:42:58 EST 2004

Chris McDonough wrote:
> But Jamie what would you have done wrt to logging to make it not so
> "horrendously overcomplicated"?  And what does this have to do with
> runzope?

It doesn't have anything to do with runzope, it has to do with the
daemontools service model, whereby you have a program of some type
which is "daemonized" and taken care of by supervise and it simply
writes its logs to stdout which is connected to a supervised multilog
process that handles all the rotation, post-processing, and other
mumbo-jumbo you might want to do, as a seperate user, in a seperate
process, with seperate resource limits.  Hurray for security.  Zope
doesn't fit particularly well into that model because it wants to
handle all the log rotation and all that junk itself.  Which, IMHO, is
a design flaw, but not a particularly big deal as its easy enough to
work around if you really want to.  Zope's logging, and indeed the
entire python logging module, is really just far too much indirection
for me to stomach.  I understand why people wanted it, I understand
why programmers like it, but it doesn't really excite me in the
context of this particular application.

--
Jamie Heilman                     http://audible.transient.net/~jamie/
"...thats the metaphorical equivalent of flopping your wedding tackle