[Zope] ZSyncer Problems

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Sat Feb 14 12:52:04 EST 2004

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 05:01:53PM +1100, Tim Zegir wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have two machines on a local network using the latest version of
> ZSyncer. one machine is a redhat 9 box with zope 2.6.2 and the other is
> a mandrake 9.2 box with zope 2.7.0.
>
> When using ZSyncer from the mandrake 9.2 box everthing works fine,
> but when trying to go from the redhat 9 box i get the following error...
>
> -------------
> There was a problem with that comparison.
>
> Error:
>       * error
>       * (110, 'Connection timed out')
(snip)
> Could it be a networking problem?

Almost certainly.

Try connecting from the redhat box to the mandrake box
at the command line, e.g. using wget, lynx, or links.
This must work or zsyncer can't work.  e.g.

lynx http://your-mandrake-box:8080/

Once that works, double-check the configuration of the
ZSyncer instance on the redhat box.

Incidentally, you may find zsyncer in its current state
unsatisfactory for two-way syncing like you describe,
due to inaccurate status reports.
For all objects except CMF content types, the status
is based on bobobase_modification_time; if source modtime >
dest_modtime we decide it's "ok", otherwise "out of date".
Syncing an object causes its bobobase_modification_time
to be set to the current time on the receiving end.
There is nothing that can be done about this, it happens
at too low a level.

This means that "ok" in one direction will always be
reported as "out of sync" in the other direction.

CMF content types compare more reliably because Zsyncer checks for
DublinCore modified time and uses that if available.

Improved comparison techniques will be a focus of the 0.6 release.
But there is no release schedule, sorry.
Help would be welcome :-)

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com