[Zope] Object Manager Product Dev Question

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Sun Feb 29 06:14:07 EST 2004

Chris Bruce wrote:

> I am trying to make a folderish ObjectManager that can display items that
> exist inside it (in ZODB) as well as some items in a db.  I would like the
> database items to appears as if they exist in the folder.  Most of this is
> for the manage interface.  I created a Product that extends ObjectManager.
>
> Should I just override objectItems and objectIds?  But I am worried about
> how to handle the _getObj method.

I think that a better approach would be to handle it in the level below
the objectmanager.

Ie. write a product that saves itself as an object in the zodb, and then
gets its persistent values from the database.

Ie. if you save the sql rows key in the Zope object, you could get the
row from that key, and then get the column values and save them in
volatile attributes. (starting with '_v_')

Meaning that one object is one row.

That way it would act just like an ordinary zope product, and can be
catalogued etc. in Zope.

regards Max M